Sedation Dentistry in Vista, CA
Many people neglect dental care because of anxiety and fear of dental procedures.
Modern dentistry has achieved significant advances in the control and elimination of pain previously associated with dental treatment. Today, we can offer a variety of treatments to alleviate anxiety and to eliminate pain even for the most demanding procedures. Modern methods reduce the number of required visits because patients are more relaxed and the dentist can achieve more in a single visit. The maxim “no pain no gain” is no longer applicable at Vista Dentistry and Specialty Center – with maximum gain in dental health being entirely possible using pain-free procedures and, where necessary, anxiety reduction methods.
These methods are variously called Sleep, Sedation, or Relaxation Dentistry and rely on procedures that induce a state of Conscious Sedation so that patients remain relaxed, do not feel pain, and have very little if any memory of the experience. Unlike general anesthesia where patients are unconscious and unable to respond, with Conscious Sedation you remain responsive to physical and verbal stimulation. The advantage of Conscious Sedation is that we can do a full mouth reconstruction or single procedures such as crowns, veneers, fillings, tooth whitening, dentures, extractions, implants, and deep cleanings.
The most common and most widely known method of Conscious Sedation is Nitrous Oxide and Oxygen (“laughing gas”). It has been used successfully for many years and works well for patients with mild to moderate anxiety. Patients who experience more severe levels of anxiety are given an oral sedative (pill) that decreases anxiety levels an hour before the treatment commences and leaves you feeling very relaxed. Throughout the treatment, you are never left alone and a staff member is always present at your side to monitor your vital signs and well-being.
What Type of Dental Treatment Can Be Accomplished While Sedated?
Because you will be completely comfortable, we can accomplish quite a bit during a single dental appointment. We can do a full mouth reconstruction or a single procedure such as crowns, veneers, fillings, tooth whitening, dentures, extractions, implants, deep cleanings, etc.
You are a Candidate for Conscious Sedation If You:
- Are anxious or highly fearful about dental treatment
- Have difficulty getting numb
- Hate needles/shots
- Have very sensitive teeth or gums
- Have a bad gag reflex
- Hate smells, tastes, and noises associated with dental care
- Need long or multiple dental appointments/treatments
- Have complex dental conditions
- Have had traumatic dental experiences
- Have put off dental treatment for a long time
- Are embarrassed about your teeth
- Have limited time to complete your dental care
Advantages of Dental Inhalation Sedation:
- Works well for mild to moderate anxiety
- Rapid Onset
- Flexible duration can be used for any appointment length
- Absolute Control. It is easy to quickly control the level of sedation which may be altered moment to moment.
- People recover quickly
- Very few side effects
- There is an analgesic effect
- You can drive yourself to and from your dental appointment
- You can return to normal activities immediately
- Disadvantages of Dental Inhalation Sedation:
- Severe anxiety may require a deeper level of sedation
- Not indicated for people who have respiratory problems (Asthma and Emphysema)
- Claustrophobic patients do not like anything covering their nose
- What medications are used for Dental Inhalation Sedation?
- Nitrous Oxide (N2O)
- Oxygen (O2)
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR PRACTICE
When you make us your Dentist in Vista, you will experience all that modern dentistry has to offer, including a comprehensive list of general, restorative and cosmetic dental services to meet the needs of the whole family. This includes dental implants, teeth whitening, root canal therapy, and many other types of general dentistry procedures. Our goal is to assist each patient in achieving and maintaining long-term dental health and a beautiful smile. Some of the services we provide include:
Sealants & Fluoride
Root Canal Therapy
Tooth Colored Fillings
Crowns & Bridges
We’re located at:
138 Civic Center Dr Ste 115
Vista, CA 92084